Sunday, January 30, 2011

Small Business Owner - The Starving Artist

     That's what my business card says. "Starving Artist". A phrase that brings joy to the heart of the art collector, and shrivels the bowels of the artist. The story of Picasso having only enough money to buy one tube of blue paint, so he entered his 'blue period' is interesting to anyone who is not an artist. To the artist, it is a cautionary tale of someone who failed to plan and was caught up in the madness of creativity. It is a reason to set aside passion and do something safe. After all, who wants to live in a cardboard box under a bridge, painting with ketchup and mustard packets? Not that there is anything wrong with that life choice, if that's what you want. But that is definitely not the path I want.

     I want to NOT be the 'Starving Artist'. I want to be able to live in a house, pay my bills on time, and sell my art. I want to be payed what my work is worth. I am taking all the steps to be successful, doing the business part of being a small business owner correctly. I am filling out paperwork, creating forms, doing research and running my own business. This is taking time away from the creative side, yes. But it is also assuring me that I can afford to continue being creative. As my business grows, I will have to supplement it with other income and work other jobs. But the goal remains the same. I want to grow up to be an artist who is able to support themselves with their art. I want to be one of the rare ones.

     And my business cards? As soon as I am able to pay myself what I make at my day job, I will order new ones.

2 comments: